Thursday, June 17, 2010

At Least It Was Really Cheese... Right?

The eyes just love to see what they want to see.

The other day, while we were away, three o' clock rolled around before I realized that I hadn't had lunch yet. This is not something I like to have happen, and when it does, I usually go for the simplest, most easily attainable thing to eat. No exception here.

My thought process went something like this:
1. We had hot dogs and cheeseburgers last night.
2. There are hamburger buns left.
3. There is both American cheese and cheddar cheese as well.
4. There is Miracle Whip.
5. I will make a cheese sandwich.

Solid reasoning, of course. I mean, sure, the hamburger buns were made of highly processed, anything-but-nutritious white flour... and the same could be said about those "singles" (aka "cheese product," according to the label). Hey, the grated cheddar probably wasn't so hot, either. And then there's the Miracle Whip. But this is what happens when you're at someone else's place, and you don't have ready access to actual food.

Singles and cheese bag ready in hand, I opened up the bun bag to take one out. But to my surprise, the bun wasn't detaching the way it should. I could separate two of the buns from the others, but when it came to separating those two, it wasn't really happening. So I figured, "What the hey? I'll just rip them apart." And I did.

It was at this point that I looked down at my newly separated bun... or should I say, buns... and, more to the point, halves of buns. Instead of opening the hamburger bun bag, I had opened the hot dog buns. I had also ripped two perfectly good hot dog buns in half. I probably should have turned on a light in the first place.

For a moment, I contemplated putting the other halves of the buns back into the bag. After all, I wasn't going to eat them. I already had my equivalent of a hamburger bun. It then occurred to me that no one, not even I, could come up with a use for the remaining halves. So I made my awkward sandwich, put the other halves on my plate, and stared at them as I ate.

Did I learn a lesson from all this? I sure did. When preparing lunch, make sure that at least one thing you eat is neither white nor yellow. These colors do not occur in nature.

No comments: