Monday, February 23, 2009

Google Can Map My Heart

Thanks to Google Maps, I will get to work tomorrow.

Having grown up in a gridded borough, I get a little confused when I get to Brooklyn. In fairness, I think everyone does. But sometimes I forget, despite its location in the city of New York, that Brooklyn does not have a convenient system of numbered streets and avenues that tell you how to get where you want to go.

This is where Google comes in. Whenever I'm Brooklyn-bound, or really whenever I'm going somewhere new, I like to scope out the territory on Google Maps. If I know a few street names and can mentally walk the path from the subway to the destination, it makes the journey a lot easier.

The only problem is that, for the most part, it's hard to tell north from south when you step out of an underground subway station. This is where the Street View tool comes in handy. Store fronts make excellent landmarks, and if I can see them ahead of time, I can orient myself before I start walking. This saves a lot of wrong-way travel.

I'm teaching at a school in Brooklyn Heights tomorrow, and although I've been there before, I haven't gone alone . Also, the path to the subway was a little complicated, so I didn't remember it. Google has allowed me to look around the outside of the subway station, walk down the correct street, and slide right up to the door of the school without getting up from my desk.

Now all I need is a Google tool that will allow me to teach my class without leaving my apartment. It's a theater class, so I'm guessing that one is only in the R&D stage.

No comments: