Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Yes Wii Can

I can, at least. Sort of.

The first time I played a Wii, I figured out pretty quickly that bowling was my game. I'm not a terrible bowler in real life, but I'm a better Wii bowler because it doesn't require any vision at all. You just press a button and move your arm. I can see well enough to tell what pins are left, but even if I couldn't, I would do what I do in a real bowling alley: ask someone.

Wii Baseball and Wii Tennis do require some eyesight, mostly for the timing. I may never get the hang of the baseball game. Much like real-life baseball, it really does help to see that little ball moving through the strike zone so that you can hit it. Tennis might be another story.

This weekend, I played tennis -- doubles -- and helped my teammate sweep every match. I'm still not sure how I did this. I was able to sit close ebnough to the screen to see the basics, but a lot of it was guesswork. Maybe the rhythm of the ball is predicatbale enough for me to guess correctly. Maybe my teammate sent psychic messages. Whatever the case, we won a lot, and I really did not screw up too often.

For the record, real-life tennis is my worst sport. At least I used to watch a lot of baseball. An old friend used to insist to me that he could teach me how to play. He might be right, but if it meant running around on a clay tennis court in the summer heat, I woudl probably have to pass. The Wii allows you to play in room temperature. I prefer that.

1 comment:

Rich said...

I really like Tiger Woods PGA 08/09 on my xBox 360. Though on my normal TV (non HD) I find the menus extremely hard to read, and need to guess a lot. The game it self is OK, and sitting very close I have little trouble reading the "green grid"... I've not plaid other games on xBox...

On computer I use to actually be very good at Unreal Tournament... And very good with the Sniper Rifle... Just love it when the announcer voice says "Head Shot"... hmm One Shot - One Kill!.. I've not plaid such games for some time now.

Mind you on PC (Mac) games I'm only a few inches from the monitor... TV I'm about 18-24"...

Out friend Cole who has CP use the Wii Fit program as part of his PT... I think thats way cool for kids...