Friday, September 18, 2009

Monkey See, Monkey See Color

Apparently, male monkeys are red-green colorblind. In this sense (and this alone), I do not resemble a monkey.

In recent research, scientists seem to have found a cure for colorblindness in monkeys. The method is gene therapy, which has often been floated as a possible cure for my condition. After about five months of gene therapy treatment, male monkeys were able to see the difference between red and green.

The adorable story is on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112897277&sc=emaf

The scientists in this story ask the same question that I have often asked of myself: namely, if you were to cure the physical eye, would the brain synapses still exist to process the image? In the case of the monkeys, the answer was a resounding "yes," despite the nay-sayers. I wonder if the same would happen for me.

Well, for the moment, this research is still monkey business. But, hey, in another five years... you never know.

No comments: