Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oh, Well

Poor Governor Paterson. I say that, not because he seems to be the victim of anything (other than the obvious bad timing), but rather because this job clearly isn't agreeing with him.

Of course, the Governor isn't very good at convincing anyone to do anything, and he may well be as incompetent at governing as everyone seems to be implying. But still, with every single political figure in New York basically cutting bait on him, you have to feel a little bad for the guy. Even his political enemies, in moments of candor, have to admit that he wouldn't cut school funding out of glee. The whole state's in trouble, and the political machine has found a very convenient fall guy. I'll pity the next governor too.

In the meantime, I wonder if the governor's shaky reign has had any effect on life for us blindish folks at large. It might be my imagination, but I've noticed less ignorance about the visually impaired. Fewer store clerks give me funny looks. I also haven't gone on any job interviews lately, so it's probably just a coincidence... but, hey, wouldn't it be nice to think that we got something out of an otherwise weak governorship?

Call me a victim of identity politics, but I still feel the urge to defend the guy once in a while. And say what you will about him, but he still can rattle off policy better than any New York politician with 20/20.

No comments: