Thursday, December 18, 2008

Responses

Thought you might be interested in the discussion that broke out on another website, in reaction to my last post. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. And if you're wondering who, really, is innocent in this world, you are the only one who has ever had that thought. Ever.

Re: Live From New York, It's Deeply Offensive

Sally: I saw it and was completely offended - such poor taste and not at all funny. Thanks for posting.

Meredith: that was an amazing blog post. I don't live in NY anymore, but when he stepped into office for Gov. last year, i was elated. I've heard the employer's jaw drop, and have spent my whole career not only trying to prove to men in m sexist field that I am just as capable of them to do the job, but also I can do it just as well while being legally blind.

SNL is really good at making fun of Bush, but when it comes to the blind jokes and albinism jokes they sure fail horribly.

It hurts me that if they did this same skit but had them playing a mentally retarded person the people who are the heads of the disability act would be in an uproar about it and have SNL give a public apology.... why can't the blind get the same back-up?


Mariam: I saw it, and frankly, I found it hilarious. That's what comedy is all about folks. Some things are just NOT PC. Comedy is deadly serious and it's never been about being politically correct. That's what makes it funny. There are only a few topics that are really NEVER funny. Abortion and rape are two of those. Aaaanyway, for another hilarious video from SNL go to their website and search for "Lawrence Welk"

Mariam: By the way, the sketch did not call him a freak.*

Meredith: oh believe me, i laugh at things. Please, I have albinism. I'm always the evil villain in every movie that has "an albino". I go nuts when people freak out about the smallest things. I was for the movie "blindness" and felt people over-reacted to it, and when others freak out about the evil albinos i normally fight back with "it's not always about us."

This sketch, however, I didn't laugh once. I didn't walk away furious, like I did with "Not Another Teen Movie", but i didn't think they did a good job in the "funny" department either.


Josiah: agreed. ideally, Patterson will do the show when it returns in Jan. and get some free press.

*True, he doesn't say, "I am a freak." He does compare himself with people with a "gamy arm" and refer to the "freak-bag," where he plans to get his senate appointment. Then he announces that he wil pull his own name out of the freak-bag. Yup. He does not call himself a freak.

No comments: