Saturday, January 31, 2009

Better

Tonight's Saturday Night Live bit about David Paterson was a considerable improvement. I actually laughed, which was not the case last time... but, again, whether or not it's funny is subjective and not the point. To put it simply, this one didn't focus on his blindness. And as the governor himself would probably admit, there's plenty else to lampoon.

It's probably unfair to say that he's "not a good governor," considering the circumstances he's inherited, but it's just political wisecracking. For the record, other than making a circus of the senate appointment, he seems to be doing pretty well. And, of course, they keep referring to his having done cocaine once upon a time... just like the current and former presidents.

But, really, the only part that still bothers me is the bit about being disoriented and lost behind the desk. It's just not him. And I don't think people know that. But I guess the only way that's going to change is if the governor, or someone like him, changes the image with a more memorable one.

I have to admit, it was a little surreal to see him take out a pair of binoculars and pretend to read something. I don't do that with binoculars, but I use a monocular (you can guess what it looks like) to do the same thing for spot reading. It's awkward, difficult to do, and just generally an inefficient way to read stuff. I never thought it would end up as a gag on SNL.

Live and learn, right?

No comments: