Thursday, January 22, 2009

An Open Letter To Governor Paterson

Dear Governor Paterson,

As I'm sure you know, Hillary Clinton has now officially joined the Obama administration. Due to overwhelmign approval by the senate, she is now the Secretary of State. This will make it rather difficult for her to continue her duties as the junior senator from the state of New York.

You have hinted, during this long and laborious process, that you will name Senator Clinton's successor soon after her confirmation. The rumor mills have given Caroline Kennedy the best odds, and I am aware that you have interviewed her along with the rest of the potential senators.

As one partially blind person to another, I have a simple request for you:

DON'T.

You have been a great spokesman for those of us who, despite our disabilities, possess skills and qualifications for jobs. We deserve employment, not because we deserve special treatment, but because society should not waste our talents.

There are many great potential senators in this state, all of whom have extensive legislative experience. Do for the senate slot what you would want others to do for you or for me: pick the candidate with the best qualifications, regardless of gender, race, orientation, disability, or family name.

Thank you for your efforts to keep this state solvent in tough fiscal times.

Sincerely,
Me

P.S. As I wrote this letter, I found out that Ms. Kennedy withdrew her name from contention last night, making my plea irrelevant and moot. I don't mind.

No comments: