Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Toast

Several years ago, at a party , I ended up in a small group near the table of booze. We had each just poured some wine, and a striking woman offered a brief toast. We all clinked our glasses. After the toast, the striking woman chided me for not making eye contact with her. She recited a superstition about not making eye contact during a toast. I won't repeat it here, but I will say that it is not true. I checked.

Whether or not you are physically capable of making eye contact, and whether or not you realize that I'm posting this well after New Year's Eve, let's toast to a great New Year, and let's hope for the best from a new president and a sort-of-new congress. I believe the original title of Stephen King's The Shawshank Redemption was "Hope Springs Eternal," so may we all (SPOILER ALERT) slowly chip our way out of prison, crawl out through three football fields worth of sewer, and revel shirtless in the rain.

Happy 2009, and thanks for reading.

No comments: