Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ask the Blind Guy, Part 1

Q: What does it look like?

A: Huh? What does what look like?

Q: You know... stuff.

A: Oh, right. Stuff. Well, for the most part, stuff looks normal to me. The world doesn't look fuzzy or out of focus, so it's not at all like taking off your glasses. Everything looks clear except for a blind spot in the middle of my vision, no matter which eye is open.

Now, if you're wondering what the spot looks like, it's actually pretty easy to simulate. Just look directly at a bright light for a few seconds -- I would suggest you avoid the sun, and so would your mother -- and then look away. The after-effect you see, that shiny spot that doesn't exactly have a shape, is a lot like my blind spot.

A lot of people react to this by remarking that it must be annoying to have a slightly-glowing spot in front of me all the time. If it happened one day, out of the blue, I'm sure it would be pretty frustrating; but lucky for me, it just slowly dawned on me that it was there. The weird thing for me, at this point, would be for it to disappear... or if it started talking to me in rhyme. That would be just plain crazy. I promise I'll post about it if that happens.

If you have any blind guy questions, send them straight to our brand new email address, notnotblind@hotmail.com. First one to send us an email gets a free ice cream cone.**

**Offer not valid within the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, the United Kingdom, or anywhere else on the Planet Earth. However, if you can read this print, you can see better than I can... so go ahead and treat yourself to some delicious ice cream. I'm about to do that myself.

No comments: