Saturday, October 18, 2008

Radio Everywhere




During college and for years after, I was one of the only people I knew who listened to National Public Radio.

Sure, a few professors and older family members were regular listeners, but I rarely met anyone my own age. While everyone else was getting their news from CNN, the New York Times, and the networks, I was getting my twice-daily doses from Morning Edition and All things Considered. I'd like to think I was better informed.

Now, it's important to note that blind and not-not-blind people are not the only ones who listen to the radio. People who drive cars, for instance, like to have chatter on in the background, and sometimes they even pay attention to it. Much more interesting than those exit and speed limit signs .) But as far as the primary news source goes, radio is ideal for people like me, and less ideal for those who need visual stimulation. The fully sighted seem more inclined to tune in for generic pop music, sports, and infuriating extremists with microphones. At least, that used to be the case.

In the last two years, the iPod has changed all that: specifically, the podcast has revolutionized the way people get their information. NPR podcasts have consistently been at or near the top of the podcast list. Why? Because they're really good at making stuff for the naked ear, and they produce fresh, often funny material that tells stories and stimulates the intellect. And unlike PBS, they're not afraid to go beyond the bare facts and take a position now and then.

It's been a relief to be able to talk about This American Life, On the Media, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me with people who aren't directly related to me. What's more, NPR has seen its ratings soar, surpassing Rush Limbaugh last year. Call me a communist, but I feel better living in a country that gets more of its news from an outlet that actually believes in journalism a doesn't seek a profit. There's plenty of talk about a strong liberal bias, but I challenge anyone to provide real evidence of that. There have been harsh criticisms of the Bush administration, but those seem to have been accurate.

If you're wondering, I'm fully aware that people still get their news from other sources. TV is still pretty big, and lots of people go online to read newspapers, magazines, and, um, blogs. But it's nice to think that serious radio journalism has made a comeback... even if it isn't over the radio.

No comments: