Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ask a Blind Guy, Part 2

Q: Do you bump into things?

A: No.

Peripheral vision -- and mine is better than most -- is great for avoiding stuff. I often come close to running into people on crowded sidewalks, but I'm pretty sure that's a condition of being a New Yorker, and I never actually do make contact. If something or someone comes up along my side, I usually get an "collision alert" warning in my brain, and I duck/dodge/stutter-step. I bump my head far more than I'd like to, but I can chalk that up to being 6' 2". Low ceilings above toilets should be illegal.

If you want me to answer any actual questions from actual people, please keep in mind that YOU are an actual person. Send your blind-guy queries to notnotblind@hotmail.com. I won't publish your name, but I will publish your soul. (I asked a copyright lawyer, and he said it would be cool..)

Later, y'all.

No comments: