Monday, October 27, 2008

Blind Ambition

It's a funny phrase, isn't it? There are a bunch of them; I'll probably dig into "blind justice" some other time. But let's talk about blind ambition.

If ambition were actually blind, it wouldn't be very good at living out its purpose. The blind tend to be somewhat cautious about how they move around. Even those of us with relatively unimpaired mobility have to feel around once in a while to see what's there. I rarely walk down a set of stairs, even the stairs outside my apartment building, without taking little stutter-steps with my feet to figure out the exact length and depth of each step. (I don't think about inches or centimeters... more like "shallow" or "steep.") And, while it's fun to go for a run once in a while, we're not likely to barge into unknown territory without some form of company or preparation.

Don't get me wrong: there are plenty of ambitious blind and partly blind people, and I've met a few. Considering how unconventional my career path has been, it's not too much of a stretch to call me one of those. But ambition, itself, is rarely blind. It might channel out what it doesn't want to see, but you can't blame your eyes for that

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what font you're using, but on my RSS reader (Google Reader), your post showed up in WingDings. Haha.